TOP TEN TIPS FOR BEING THE BEST PARENT YOU CAN BE
- There are no perfect parents – mistakes are chances to learn.
- Take care of yourself so you have energy to care for your children.
- Don’t live through your kids – meet your needs through your own efforts.
- Support and give your children the skills to solve their own problems – avoid being a “helicopter” parent.
- You have many years to raise your children – focus on one or two concerns at a time.
- Pick and choose from your upbringing how you want to parent.
- Create family traditions to pass on memories and values.
- “Get on the same page” for larger parenting decisions with those who share in your children’s care.
- Seek support when you need it.
- Maintain a sense of humor.
READ EDUCATIONAL ARTICLES –
practical, well-researched information for parents:
Partners in Parenting: Working Together as a Team
What Traits Do You Value? (pdf)
Couple Communication Questions (pdf)
Being a Role Model – The Promise and The Peril
Parents, Your Needs Matter: It’s Okay to Take a Turn
Survival Tips for Special Needs Parents…You’re Not Alone, I Promise!
Effective Versus Ineffective Parenting: Know the Difference?
7 Inescapable Post-Divorce Truths
READ NEWS & VIEWS NEWSLETTER ARTICLES –
words of wisdom by parents for parents:
Cut Yourself Some Slack
It’s about Time: Making It ALL Work
Parenting: Reality vs. Reality Show
The Myth of the Perfect Parent
Reflections on a Parental Leave of Absence
Parenting Tips for Better Health
Parenting Paradox: Exasperating and Exhilarating
Find your “Inner Child”
Families: You Can’t Live with Them; You Can’t Live without Them
It’s Never too Late to have a Happy Childhood
Fighting on the Same Side: Team Parenting
Little Tips to See the Big Picture
Encouraging a Positive Attitude by Creating a Positive Environment
Why is it So Hard to Parent Today? The Big Picture of Parental Responsibility
The Years Fly By
Balancing Acts: Letting Go without Losing Your Mind
Letting Go – Holding On: A Delicate Balance
LISTEN TO NARRATED PRESENTATIONS –
sit back, relax, and turn up your speakers:
Working Together as a Parenting Team
|Part I – Obstacles to Team Parenting||Part II – Skills for Working Together|
Your Needs Matter