TOP TEN TIPS FOR BUILDING SELF-ESTEEM
- Let them know you love them.
- Teach skills so they feel able to do things.
- Support trying new things.
- Praise effort, not just success.
- Praise what kids can control (hard-work), not genetics (intelligence).
- Listen to and accept their feelings.
- View mistakes as a time to learn.
- Make sure children follow through with things they need to do.
- Use household chores to teach responsibility.
- Find and build upon their strengths.
READ EDUCATIONAL ARTICLES –
practical, well-researched information for parents:
What Parents Need to Know About Self-Esteem
READ NEWS & VIEWS NEWSLETTER ARTICLES –
words of wisdom by parents for parents:
Seeing Your Cup Half Full
Self-Esteem: What is It “Based” Upon?
Freeing your Children from Disabling Labels
The Gift of Encouragement
To Praise or Not to Praise – That Really Isn’t the Questions
Putting Praise in Its Proper Place
Raising Resilient Children
Resilience: The Grit to Keep on Trying
Kids and Courage
Learning from Mistakes: The Upside
LISTEN TO NARRATED PRESENTATIONS –
sit back, relax, and turn up your speakers:
|Part I – What Self-Esteem Is
|Part II – Tips for Promoting Self-Esteem
<Library of Articles topic page