TOP TEN TIPS FOR RAISING TEENS
- Respect and listen to them.
- Reward increasing maturity with more freedom.
- Take away privileges if they can’t handle the freedom.
- Set clear and firm rules.
- Hold them accountable – set and follow through with consequences.
- Expect them to keep their word and you do the same.
- Don’t take difficult behaviors as a dare or challenge.
- Accept that peers are an important influence.
- Know that teens need you in their lives, but on their terms.
- Continue to share your values.
READ EDUCATIONAL ARTICLES –
practical, well-researched information for parents:
Parenting Teens: Riding the Waves of the Teen Years
Part I The Experience of Parenting a Teen
Part II Understanding Your Adolescent
Part III Survival Strategies
Is Your Teen at Risk? – A questionnaire to help you decide
Helping Kids Ride the Waves of Sexuality and Romance
Communicating with Your Teens
Tips for Using Electronic Media
Teens and Privacy: Balance is Key
When Your Teen Breaks Your Trust
What Should You Tell Your Children about Your Own Past?
Combatting Stress in Teens
Is it a Good Idea for your Teen to Take a Job?
Turning Down Tween Attitude
Are you Enabling Your Teenager?
8 Ways to Discuss Suicide with Your Teen
READ NEWS & VIEWS NEWSLETTER ARTICLES –
words of wisdom by parents for parents:
The Pre-Adolescent and the Parent – Can They Get Along?
Self-Care is Essential for Parents of Addicts
LISTEN TO NARRATED PRESENTATIONS –
sit back, relax, and turn up your speakers:
Riding the Waves of the Teen Years:
|Part I – Parenting a Teen
|Part II – Understanding your Adolescent
|Part III – Survival Strategies
<Library of Articles topic page