Here are the Top 10 Tips to get your children to do chores and take responsibility:
- Support but don’t take over.
- Give more perks as children become more mature.
- Let them make as many choices as possible.
- Teach them what they are supposed to do and how to do it.
- Praise the steps along the way, not just when a chore is done.
- Notice when they’re doing what they’re supposed to, not just when they aren’t.
- Give chores that match their makeup, maturity, and likes.
- Set rules and follow through on consequences.
- Support them to find an interest where they can give their all.
- Be positive about doing your chores.
When your children are so busy (school and activities), you may not want to give them chores. However, kids who succeed in school and in life started doing chores at three to four years of age.
Chores teach skills for life such as learning how to do things well and meeting responsibilities. They also give children a way to contribute to the world.