Here are the Top 10 Tips to handle teasing and bullying:
- Set family rules about respect.
- Teach how to state needs, without being pushy.
- Give your children a sense of power through activities (sports, clubs).
- Talk about how to be a good friend.
- Point out how other people are feeling.
- Let them know you believe in them.
- Help your children if they are being bullied and cannot fix it.
- Treat the bully with compassion.
- Discuss ways to stand up for others who are being bullied.
- Speak out against bullying in your life and your children’s.
Some teasing is expected. Children need to be taught how to handle this.
However, when children begin to feel helpless, it is no longer innocent “teasing.” Children need to feel safe. The adults in their world must support them.
Likewise, those who are bullies need support to learn better ways to relate to others. Parents should teach that bullying is never okay.