TOP TEN COMMUNICATION TIPS
- Listen to your children.
- Accept feelings; limit unacceptable behavior.
- Look for other feelings – what first seems to be the problem, may not be.
- Tell your children how you feel without shaming them.
- Do not call your children “names.”
- Give yourself a “time out” when angry to avoid saying something you may regret.
- Praise your children for doing good things.
- Use words that your children can understand.
- Set aside time to let your kids tell you what they are thinking.
- Tell children what they should do, not just what they did wrong.
The Basics in Real Life
Talking to Children about…
Active Listening – Listening Beyond the Words
|Part I – Listening beyond the Words||Part II – 5 Ways to (and not to) Listen|
|Part III – The How-to’s|
Working Together to Solve Problems
|Part I – The Planning Stage||Part II – Using Problem Exploration|